Elementary Statistical Mechanics!
- Instructor: Todd Gingrich
- Office: Ryan 4018
- Office Hours: Wednesday 4-5 pm, Ryan 4018
- Telephone: 510-457-8600
- Email: email@example.com
- TA:  Jonah Greenberg
- Office: Ryan 4034
- Office Hours: Tuesday/Thursday 3-4 pm, 4026 Ryan Hall
- Email: JonahGreenberg2024@u.northwestern.edu
- Lecture: Tech L160
- Time: TuTh 9:30-11am CST
- Midterm Exam: Thursday, November 3.
Please consult the course syllabus for course objective and policies.
The course website (this site) will be used to post lecture notes, special notes, homework assignments, and homework solutions.
- Tuesday, September 20, 2022: Introduction to the course, dynamics in chemistry, chaos, and ergodicity hypothesis. [Link]
- Thursday, September 22, 2022: Microcanonical entropy and systems with fluctuating energy. [Link]
- Tuesday, September 27, 2022: The Boltzmann distribution. [Link]
- Thursday, September 29, 2022: Connecting statistical mechanics and thermodynamics. [Link]
- Tuesday, October 4, 2022: The canonical ensemble and fluctuation-response relations. [Link]
will normally be made available on this website by Thursday of
each week, and will be due on Friday of the following week at 5 pm.
Late work will only be accepted if arrangements
are made in advance or if there are particularly exceptional